NetworkManager with KDE

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Mar 20 13:32:00 UTC 2005

On Sun 20 Mar 2005 04:05, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> I'm running NM in GNOME.  I did the following:
>
>   # chkconfig network off
>   # chkconfig NetworkManager on
>   reboot
>   log in
>   $ NetworkManagerInfo
>
> Then the windmill starts and I can connect (most of the time...).

Thanks for the response.
I have (or had) NetworkManager "chkconfig-ed" to start on booting.
This actually starts NetworkManagerInfo,
or rather it starts after I have given the superuser password (twice).
The trouble is that although NetworkManagerInfo is running
(as shown by ps) there is no icon visible anywhere I can see.

> To ensure that NMI starts again at login, log out and select "save
> configuration".

As I said, it tries to start, and does so after I give the su password.

> > In fact, when I re-boot, I get a window with the message
> > "The action you requested needs root privileges"
> > with the relevant NetworkManagerInfo command listed.
> > I give the superuser password (twice)
> > and find that the NetworkManager programs are running:
>
> NMI should not require root, as I understand it.  Start it from a user
> terminal.

I'll try killing NMI, and starting it from the command-line.
But the fact is, it does not work "as advertised" on my KDE Fedora-3 system.

It's a pity it is not written in Python, so one can see what is happening
(in the complete absence of documentation).

I can't believe it is that difficult to write a Network wizard
that works properly - I don't know why none of the Fedora ones
(I mean system-config-network and its relatives, as well as NM)
seem to be reliably consistent.

But again I would ask -
is anyone actually running NetworkManager under KDE?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366