Motherboard Recommendations

David Fletcher fm_maillists at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 20 13:34:10 UTC 2005

On Saturday 19 Mar 2005 23:43, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 03/19/2005 02:40:25 PM, Gib Gilbertson Jr. wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I want to build a web/e-mail/file server running FC for home network
> > use. I'd appreciate some recommendations for motherboards to put in
> > the machine.
>
> nforce 3 - for an amd64 cpu
> I'm not sure if SATA is supported in FC3 install kernel, but I'm
> guessing it will be in FC4 install kernel (I can't guarantee it) - but
> you can always install to ATA and use SATA for your data drives if
> installing to SATA is an issue.
>
> I personally prefer Asus boards, always had good luck with them.
>
> --
> Michael A. Peters
> http://mpeters.us/

I've used an Intel D865PERL motherboard to build two systems with a 3GHz P4 in
each, Seagate SATA hard drives and Sony optical drives on the ribbon cable
IDE sockets. Both systems installed FC3 dual booting with XP OK. The only
problem I encountered was that the FC3 automatic partitioning failed to work
on both machines, so I had to do it manually.

Trouble is that although I'm very pleased with these motherboards, I'm told by
the supplier I bought them from that Intel might not be making them any more.
They are certainly difficult for me to get hold of now so my advice is if you
find one grab it fast.

Hope I've helped

Dave F