NetworkManager with KDE

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Mar 20 15:55:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> On Sun 20 Mar 2005 04:05, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>

>> I'm running NM in GNOME.  I did the following:
>>
>>   # chkconfig network off
>>   # chkconfig NetworkManager on
>>   reboot
>>   log in
>>   $ NetworkManagerInfo
>>
>> Then the windmill starts and I can connect (most of the time...).
>
> Thanks for the response.
> I have (or had) NetworkManager "chkconfig-ed" to start on booting.
> This actually starts NetworkManagerInfo,
> or rather it starts after I have given the superuser password (twice).
> The trouble is that although NetworkManagerInfo is running
> (as shown by ps) there is no icon visible anywhere I can see.

What version of NM are you running?  The latest for FC3 is
NetworkManager-0.3.4-1.1.0.fc3.  The initscript for NM does not start NMI,
it starts the NM daemon.

The NMI daemon should be started from the account of the user running on
the display.

If your experience is otherwise, post /etc/init.d/NetworkManager and lets
see what's going on.

>> To ensure that NMI starts again at login, log out and select "save
>> configuration".
>
> As I said, it tries to start, and does so after I give the su password.
>
>>> In fact, when I re-boot, I get a window with the message
>>> "The action you requested needs root privileges"
>>> with the relevant NetworkManagerInfo command listed.
>>> I give the superuser password (twice)
>>> and find that the NetworkManager programs are running:
>>
>> NMI should not require root, as I understand it.  Start it from a user
>> terminal.
>
> I'll try killing NMI, and starting it from the command-line.
> But the fact is, it does not work "as advertised" on my KDE Fedora-3 system.
>
> It's a pity it is not written in Python, so one can see what is happening
> (in the complete absence of documentation).

One could, if one really wanted, install the SRPM and read the source.

> I can't believe it is that difficult to write a Network wizard
> that works properly - I don't know why none of the Fedora ones
> (I mean system-config-network and its relatives, as well as NM)
> seem to be reliably consistent.

One of the regular contributors is here, and I've talked to him about it
(not this issue sepcifically).  It is actually surprisingly hard to get it
right--lack of standards in wireless drivers are a significant part of the
problem.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences