No Ethernet Connection At Boot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 20 16:25:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 00:04 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
> > Craig White wrote:

> >> ---
> >> is ONBOOT = YES
> >>
> >> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0
> >>
> >> does
> >> service network restart
> >>
> >> turn it on or off?
> >>
> >> I would think that /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg might be better
> >> places to look for errors with respect to the eth0 interface at bootup
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Craig,
> >
> >> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0
> >
> > doesn't exist
> >
> > service network restart brought me to where I didn't have a connection
> > again, and had to deactivate/reactivate again. Will check those logs
> > real soon. Cheers.
> >
> > Mark Sargent
> >
> Hi All,
>
> I can ping, though and I'm getting an IP, just can't access the net or
> mail. Weird. Cheers
---
sorry... s/h/b

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

can't ping across net or get off lan because you need a 'default
gateway' setup might put these in the above mentioned ifcfg-ethX

On a multi-homed system, I tend to not put default gateway in any
network device configuration but rather put it
into /etc/sysconfig/network

I can't tell what your default gateway should be
>>> eth0 is static set to 192.168.0.17
>>> eth1 is static set to 192.168.1.1

but would guess that it is either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 from the
notion that if eth0 is down, you aren't getting anywhere.

if that is the case...

edit /etc/sysconfig/network

add the lines...

GATEWAYDEV='eth0'
GATEWAY='192.168.0.1' #or whatever the proper address should be

and then - 'service network restart'

and you're good to go

Craig