dhcp problem FC2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 20 16:50:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 11:18, Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) wrote:
> My main computer is a dual boot FC2/FC3 machine. A while back I had some really serious issues with FC3, probably
> related to a combination of running SELinux (which I still
>  insist on running) and bad mixing of apt repositories.
> Anyway, I reinstalled and FC3 was fine. During the install
> I had hosed grub and lost my FC2 bootloader and just got
> around to fixing that last night. Now it dual boots
> perfectly. But I do now have a problem with FC2. I can't
> get DHCP information on eth0,  or ppp0, but only with FC2.
> They both work fine with FC3 and the same setup used to
> work fine in FC2. The only change I made to FC2 was to
> delete a single line in its /etc/fstab that was pointing
> to a nonexistant swap partition I used to have on the hard
> drive that FC3 is installed on. Grub is installed (now) on
> hdc which is the hard drive that FC3 is installed on, so I
> didn't even mess with that.
>
>  When I first boot to FC2, my ifconfig looks like this:
>
> [code]
> [dishawjp at eunix dishawjp]$ /sbin/ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:246 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:246 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:16994 (16.5 Kb)  TX bytes:16994 (16.5 Kb)
>
> [dishawjp at eunix dishawjp]$
> [/code]
> Which is exactly what I want. I want both interfaces (eth0
> and ppp0) to be user controlled. I have the command
> "/sbin/ifup eth0" aliased to "net" and when I give that
> command, I get this:
> [code]
> [dishawjp at eunix dishawjp]$ net
>
> Determining IP information for eth0... failed.
> [dishawjp at eunix dishawjp]$
> [/code]
> But then checking my ifconfig, I get this:
> [code]
> [dishawjp at eunix dishawjp]$ /sbin/ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:00:06:E3:3E:9C
>           inet6 addr: fe80::6ff:fee3:3e9c/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:5273 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:6 errors:4 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:4
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:316380 (308.9 Kb)  TX bytes:1508 (1.4 Kb)
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xef00

Your interface did not get an IP address per the ifconfig above.  Looks
like what ever device on your network you have providing DHCP did not
respond or your system did not get the response.

The stats show a number of errors on transmit and receive.  You might
try

service network restart

And I would check the network cables and switch settings.  Make sure you
have duplex an speeds set correctly on the switch.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

What passes for optimism is most often the effect of an intellectual error.
		-- Raymond Aron, "The Opium of the Intellectuals"