/dev/cdrom question: resolved (partially)

C Toews toewsc at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:55:35 UTC 2005

Many thanks to all who responded.  Jonathan, I followed your advise, cranked
up xmms, and using digital playback got bona fide sound.  I was very
happy--thanks again.  I'm still investigating why the other players don't
work, or (perhaps equivalently) what goes wrong in analog mode--I'll post my
finding if I discover a solution.

Best regards,
Carl