Antivirus in FC3?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:43:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 05:02, Jeff Vian wrote:

> BTW,  I do not think of 'desktop computing' as a business workstation
> but rather as home users.  In the workstation (business) market Linux
> seems to be taking market share from Windows at an increasing pace.

The only difference here is what you can afford to pay and the
availability of technical support.  The usability issues are the
same at home and at work.  But, many of the Linux usability issues
have to do with installing and trying to use the wrong tools for
the job just because they are free.

> You also seem to overlook the current state and the rapidly improving
> user friendliness and utility for the Linux distributions that _is_
> starting to make it more acceptable across the board.
>
> It will be interesting to see where the status balances out.

A large part of the problem is the embarassement of riches available
in free software.  Distributions tend to include a dozen different
programs that do the same thing just because they can.  Someone
building a proprietary system would never do that because it would
confuse the users and make support many times more difficult.

What we need in the Linux world is some small number of people to
act as the product manager for 'their' personal flavor of OS, so
instead of having to choose among thousands of programs as you
install and run them, you make one choice from a few dozen expertly
tuned systems to pick the one that matches what you plan to do.
You would still be able to add and customize programs of course
but there would be no need to do so.

The ubuntu/kubuntu distributions are headed the right way in my
opinion, keeping a handy 1-disk install and a run-from-CD preview
to make the split for Gnome/KDE. I'd like to see the same concept
wrapped around a fedora/RH base with enough marketing to get the
point across that they are not really competing distributions but
expertly tuned installations for different preferences and uses.
I'd guess that somewhere around 20 versions of these with concise
descriptions by their maintainers could make about 90% of the
users happy (well, at least within the same language...).  It would
be just like having your own personal system administrator to
manage your home system.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com