Nvidia Driver 7167

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun Mar 20 17:43:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 12:31 -0500, Anduin Withers wrote:
> > Hi, I installed nvidia driver 7167 downloaded from nvidia's site, and
> > installed it as per instructions on fedorafaq.org
> >
> > I can load the nvidia module, but X freezes whenever I try to start it.
>
> Two things you might try: disable RenderAccel (if you enabled it, I had it
> enabled on a machine and it worked prior to 7167, with 7167 it locked), you
> might also try playing with the NvAGP setting (try 0). (info on these is in
> /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README).
>
> There are also two patches to 7167, here:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47405
>
> I've seen one report where RenderAccel worked post-patch (I haven't run
> these patches with RenderAccel myself as 7167 seems more "crashy" just in
> general for me so I've stepped back to 6629).
>
> Also rpm.livna.org has 7167 as an RPM in testing currently (just an
> alternative install mechanism).

It's not just an alternative mechanism. I believe the RPMs include the
patches you mention.

The only other issue I've come across is a rare and to my knowledge
unresolved problem with the Linux NVIDIA drivers and some older AMD
processors. It may not be the processors themselves but the chipset on
the motherboard. I've seen this with a friends old machine (I'm afraid I
can't remember what the processor or the chipset were now). The linux
drivers would install fine, but the minute X was started the whole
machine would completely lock, and would have to be reset. After a lot
of googling I found reports (only a very few) of others with exactly the
same problem. I never found a solution.

Best, Darren