Antivirus in FC3?

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Sun Mar 20 18:26:13 UTC 2005

On 20 Mar 2005, at 17:47, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 20 March 2005 07:24, Craig White wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Your comment about being 'MS Free' strikes me as rather
>> anti-Microsoft motivated. I see Macintosh users that won't give up
>> Microsoft Office despite their virulent anti-Microsoft charges.
>> I've seen people on this list like Gene who claims never to have
>> owned a Windows computer - but uses samba for networking at his
>> house.
>
> Mainly because the alternative everyone wants me to try, cannot be
> made to work, NFS.  Any and all attempts to setup an NFS share have
> been met with a 'no permission' response from the server, this box,
> even though I am running as root for 99% of what I do.  I come back
> to the list with exact copies of the files you request, and everyone
> goes away shaking their head because they don't have an answer as to
> why I cannot make it work here.  Its supposed to Just Work(TM), but
> it doesn't.  With all due respect, samba works for everything but
> level sensitive backups, and amanda or rsync steps up to the plate
> and makes a home run everytime.

NFSv3 is considered insecure and lacks proper authentication (it only
support IP-based access control which is weak), and relies on using an
homogeneous UID mappings across clients and servers.

I use Samba which uses per-share authentication. I don't like it as
much as NFSv4, but it's a little bit more secure than NFSv3.