Why is /var so big?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:41:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 14:12, Jephthah wrote:

> > Isn't there another thread here about protecting your system?
> > Not blindly following instructions from some random person on
> > the internet is a good place to start.
>
> To Rob Rosenthal.  Im really sorry for the bad info I gave you.  I tried
> to retract it but I was too late.
>
> I'm sure youll get it fixed, with these guys help, and I sure learned my
> lesson

Of course the *real* fix would be to have handy backups of
everything so even when you make a mistake you can easily put
back the missing pieces.   For anyone with several PC's to
cover it is hard to beat backuppc for this:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
The web browser interface lets you see what was there even
if you don't need to restore it all.

It would be nice if that were included in the fedora distribution.
It's just a small perl script but the installation is a little
quirky.

--
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com