USB external Hard disk - May be LVM

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Mar 20 20:22:30 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 20/03/2005 11:13:

> Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>
>> I installed FC3 (fresh install) on external USB hard disk (see
>> different post) , now i moved the HD to another Fedora machine (that
>> is un upgrade from FC2)
>>
>> USB hard disk is immediately connected to the system but I see only a
>> /boot(2) partition.
>> I suppose that other directories are LVM type.-How can I see other
>> partitions??
>>

> Using Felipe's directions from an earlier discussion, I had to do this
> myself. The labels were the same, so /dev/mapper did not recognize
> them on startup.
>
> Here is what I did to see the lvm volume from the other disk.
>
> Directions from Felipe: (This works with secondary drive mounts also)
>
> Once booted into text-mode rescue, invoke the following commands:
>
> lvm lvscan
> lvm vgchange -ay
>
> This will scan for all LVM volumes and then will make them active and
> accessible.
>
> lvm vgchange -an
>
> will deactivate them all.
>

> Additional steps that I had to do;
> Perform the step above to activate the lvm.
>
> Make a mounting point directory, such as /mnt/logvol
> mkdir /mnt/logvol
>
> mount the volume with your resulting device name, for me it was
> mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/logvol
>
> Change to the /mnt/logvol directory and you should see the content of
> the disk there.
>
> When done with disk, change to a different directory to allow the
> drive to be unmounted, then:
> umount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/volg
>
>  If you have other volumes with similar names, I don't think this
> would work.
>
> On my new system, I changed to using conventional partitioning. There
> were no duplicate lvms to deal with.
> This disk was a laptop disk mounted in a USB to IDE bookdrive device.
> I was able to transfer desired information from the drive mounted
> above using this method. If you have lvm on the new installation also,
> you might need to use lvm help for other options.
> lvm help
> should list the other options.
>
> Jim

Tnx Jim

As now it is too late to start this task, let me resume what I am aiming
to and what is my experience...

1) I am trying to set up a Fedora on an external USB hard disk
2) I do want that the system will start Fedora immediately if the
external disk is connected (otherwise Windows should run)
During installation I decided not to install Grub as my goal is to have
a system booting Linux when the external HD i sconnected otherwise
Windows must be started. No choices to the user....and I want to be
connect to any system (mainly laptops) and use Linux

Therefore I installed Fedora on this HD issuing the command:
Linux expert noacpi

When I rebooted the system, of course it didn't boot (USB booting is
available).

I tried to follow instructions at www.simonf.com/usb but I got lost.
When I issued the command
mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
--preload=sd_mod /boot/usbinitrd.img 2.6.9-1.667

But the system didn't boot !!!
So I decided to check what was in the /boot directory and I didn't find
the usbinitrd.img file.
I suppose that I will have to issue the modified command mkinitrd.

At this point I realized that I couldn't see other directories..

What is your suggestion?? to play a fresh installation with standard
partitions (how do you manage them???) or making   them active following
your instructions?
Tnx

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3