Can sendmail do this?

P Jones deerfieldtech at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 22:26:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:17:02 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am So, den 20.03.2005 schrieb P Jones um 22:05:
>
> > I'd like to have a remote FC1 machine email me every day with the
> > logwatch email. This would serve two purposes, first, obviously, I'd
> > be able to read the logwatch report without logging into the remote
> > server, but more importantly, the server is on a dynamic IP DSL line,
> > and since ssh is how I log in, I need to know what the IP is, and it
> > would come in the email's headers (I think).
> >
> > Also, are there any security issues with sending the email? Is there a
> > better way to do what I'd like to do?
>
> > -P
>
> On the dynamic IP server edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and set the
> SMART_HOST" to the ISP's MTA and restart sendmail. In /etc/aliases set
> the root alias and run newaliases.
>
> Alexander

Alexander;

Thank-you for the info. One more sendmail question, and I've seen the
answer to this somewhere before but I just can't google it now, is
this; how do I send a test message through sendmail from the command
line?

Another short question; on this same server the logwatch email never
got through to root. There were errors in Mail log like this, every
day: "Mar 20 04:08:16 some-server sendmail[6996]: j2K9730f006996:
SYSERR(root): savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere" . To this
day I have not solved that problem, and I'm pretty sure I haven't
previously done anything to sendmail.mc.

Thanks again,

-P