CD-RW (Was Monitor T/off)

Perry Spiller p.spiller at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 20 23:32:08 UTC 2005

> > > Please don't post in html - send messages in plain text format

> > Right - I've changed that setting at the options page.
> > (If it creates problems, why is it offered as an option?)
>----
>evidently the settings weren't the right settings - still html
>
>most mail programs allow you to choose format - plain text either on a
>per message basis, by 'recipient' or always. One of them is likely to
>work for you. If I had Eudora installed on my Windows computer, I would
>direct you to the settings but I don't.
>
>As for if it creates problems, why is it offered as an option?
>Now that I know that you read through Gustavo's stuff, you should know
>the answer.

You're being very generous. I looked at the front page of Gustavo's
post and delved no deeper. However, after re-visiting and delving
deeper, I hope I've got it right this time, but still wonder why the
fedora list options allow html if it's capable of what Gustavo described.

(Thanks Jeff - I got to it just before your post arrived here. Fingers
crossed.)

<snipped>

> > Perhaps what I want is not possible? I want a CD format that all
> > machines on the home office LAN can access. 2 have CDRWs.
> > One has CDROM.
>----
>writing to cd disks requires a system properly configured to do that.
>OpenOffice and the typical application is able to write to a filesystem
>that is ready to be written to. A 'CD' Writing program, K3B for example
>can do that.

So, I get the recommended K3B and install it and that's it?

Will such a program format the CD and allow OpenOffice to write
an osx file in such a way that OpenOffice for W2kPro can read it from
the CD in the W2kPro PC? Or will K3B be happy with the InCD
formatting already present and "guide" OpenOffice as it writes to
the CD?

>DirectCD has a 'mode' on Windows that provides a 'virtual'
>disk for applications to write their data and then when instructed, data
>is written. Something probably exists for Linux to do that as well, I
>have always used CD-R and never bothered with CD-RW.

That - I think - is the Roxio/XP way of doing things and it's a pain! Writing
backup files to a CD using that process has some apps saying the drive
is not accessible. I presume that's because it wants to write the back-up
file, then check (CRC?) the validity of the file its just written. Not possible
if the file is floating about in Windoze virtual someplace else.

> > I have a Network problem, too, so, until that was solved, shifting
> > the data file on a CD seemed a good workaround. In hindsight,
> > it was small enough to use a 3.5 floppy, so I now also ask if I'm
> > likely to have similar unrecognised format type error messages
> > with those?

>My preference would be to 'network' - sneaker net with CD-RW seems like
>a slow way to share files

Agreed. It was a transient workaround that didn't work, anyway.
I've made another post on the network problem. I'm starting to think
I should go to town and see if anyone's written a "Linux for Dummies"
book!

Perry