mounting nfs directory using autofs

Steven J. Brown sbrown3 at optonline.net
Mon Mar 21 03:30:43 UTC 2005

I'm trying to use autofs in its simplest possible form, following
examples in Red Hat's documentation, to mount an nfs directory from my
desktop pc to my notebook.  Everything seems to be in place because I
can mount the nfs export manually (at the command line or with
/etc/fstab) with no problem.  I want to do this because I connect my
notebook to three different networks (or sometimes I don't connect to a
network) and on startup, the notebook seems to take forever looking for
the networks (to mount smbfs/nfs/ncpfs directories) that arent' there.
I'm hoping that autofs will reduce boot time.  To get started, I tried a
simple one.  Here's how I've set it up:

Server (Desktop PC):
/etc/exports:
/home/sbrown    192.168.2.3(rw,sync)

Notebook:
/etc/auto.master:
/misc   /etc/auto.misc

/etc/hosts:
192.168.2.4   dadlx

/etc/auto.misc:
dad   -rw,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192   dadlx:/home/sbrown

After reloading aufofs, /sbin/service autofs status reports:
Configured Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /misc file /etc/auto.misc

Active Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /misc file /etc/auto.misc

I'm assuming that if this works, I will be able to view the desktop
files on my notebook at /misc/dad.  nfs is running on the server and
autofs is running on the notebook.  So far, it's not connecting.  Any
assistance with this would be appreciated.