Firestarter firewall seems very complex

Thomas Chung (tchung) no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 21 06:51:49 UTC 2005

> Claude Jones wrote:
> I've built my firewall using Firestarter, Ver 1.03. If I turn it off, and do iptables -vL, I get a wide open no rules iptables list. When turned on, it has what seems like a very simple 5-policy set of rules for inbound  - no outbound policies at all. Yet, when I give the iptables -vsL command, I get a huge complex set of rules and chains that I haven't seemingly configured. I'd post it  but it takes up nearly
> three screens. Anyone know the short answer to why this is happenning?

I haven't been using firestarter myself just iptables for firewall so I just installed firestarter from extras repo for FC3.

I noticed when I give an initial setting, it configures iptables with rather complex settings.

BTW, there are two ways to turn off firestarer. One, from firestarter gui tool (Applications > System Tools > Firestarter).  Two, using /sbin/service command.

# service firestarter status
Firestarter is running...

As long as you don't stop firestarer either gui or service command, it should be running in the background as a service.

If you wish to go back to default firewall using "old-fashion" iptables, issue following commands.

# service firestarter stop
# chkconfig firestarter off
# system-config-securitylevel
(choose Enable firewall > click OK)