Antivirus in FC3?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 21 07:22:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 00:22 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 12:55 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 10:47, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Mainly because the alternative everyone wants me to try, cannot be
> > > made to work, NFS.  Any and all attempts to setup an NFS share have
> > > been met with a 'no permission' response from the server, this box,
> > > even though I am running as root for 99% of what I do.  I come back
> > > to the list with exact copies of the files you request, and everyone
> > > goes away shaking their head because they don't have an answer as to
> > > why I cannot make it work here.  Its supposed to Just Work(TM), but
> > > it doesn't.  With all due respect, samba works for everything but
> > > level sensitive backups, and amanda or rsync steps up to the plate
> > > and makes a home run everytime.
> >
> > NFS does 'just work' except perhaps with your configuration and
> > firewalling.  There are some security issues related to NFS but
> > if you aren't concerned about network users being about to
> > spoof others you should be able to make it work.
> >
> In defense of what Gene said, there was a considerable long thread about
> his problem with nfs, and in spite of everything he tried it seemed to
> just not work.
>
> (his /etc/exports and /etc/fstab files looked correct, and he
> stopped/restarted the services or rebooted with every change as well as
> having firewalling turned off, but it refused to cooperate.)
>
> A reasonable alternative to nfs is samba in his environment.
>
> If you can help him get NFS to work, please, by all means, try to do so.
----
I don't go looking for problems to solve

If Gene genuinely wants to solve his NFS issues - he can post up his
situation and he will get help.

He's happy with samba - otherwise, he would have persevered to get it
working.

I have found NFS to be the easiest of all network / file sharing setups
of all...(comparing SMB/Windows AFP/Macintosh)

Craig