Make restore cds(dvds)

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Mon Mar 21 14:19:39 UTC 2005

> when restoring, will this recreate partitions or will it just
> restore an
> image to a partition that's already made?
>
> Making the images would all happen in house, it when they need to be
> restored that the process needs to be as automated and simple as
> possible.  I've never used partimaged, I will look into it,
> but based on
> your description I'm assuming the restore process does not
> need a second
> machine, or am I wrong?

You have to create a partition the same size as the original to restore
into.  That is unfortunate as I don't always remember the size needed
if I forget to write it down.  I asked on the parimage if there is a way
of reading the required size from the file but have not gotten a response
in a month.  I have started poking around in the code to see what I could
find.  I am hoping it is held in the backup somewhere as the restore tells
 you when you don't have enough  space.

I usually restore across the network just like I created the backup.
To restore with one machine, you have to get the backup file somewhere the
target machine can read it and the rescue CD is already occupying the
CDROM.