mounting nfs directory with autofs

Steven J. Brown sbrown at valueline.com
Sun Mar 20 23:23:56 UTC 2005

I'm trying to use autofs in its simplest possible form, following examples in
Red Hat's documentation.  I can mount the nfs export manually (at the command
line or with /etc/fstab) with no problem.  The export is on my desktop pc and
I want to mount it on my laptop using autofs because of the long delay when I
boot the notebook when it's not on the network (mounting with /etc/fstab).
Here's how I've set it up:

Server (Desktop PC):
/etc/exports:
/home/sbrown    192.168.2.3(rw,sync)

Notebook:
/etc/auto.master:
/misc   /etc/auto.misc

/etc/hosts:
192.168.2.4   dadlx

/etc/auto.misc:
dad   -rw,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192   dadlx:/home/sbrown

After reloading aufofs, /sbin/service autofs status reports:
Configured Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /misc file /etc/auto.misc

Active Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /misc file /etc/auto.misc

I'm assuming that if this works, I will be able to view the desktop files on
my notebook at /misc/dad.  nfs is running on the server and autofs is running
on the notebook.

If I get this working, I'll set up my notebook to mount exports on two other
networks I connect to.  Any assistance with this would be appreciated.