Config check for box swith two nics

GPL linuxlistreader at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:06:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:17:43 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 15:26 -0500, GPL wrote:
> > I am working with a box that has two nics. I want the PUBLIC interface
> > to use two of my external DNS servers and the INTERNAL interface to
> > use two of my internal DNS servers. This is not a router as I have not
> > turned routing on. Not sure my resolv.conf is right. When I try to
> > ping an internal host by just host name and FQDN it fails. Fine by IP.
> > Ping by name on Internet side fine.
> >
> > My /etc/hosts:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> > 10.192.0.200    windmere.internaldomain.com windmere
> > 208.x.x.x   windmere.externaldomain.com    windmere
>
> Perhaps what you actually want to do is not what you think you want to
> do.
>
> Is it really that you want this box to be able to use internal servers
> for lookups in the internaldomain.com domain (and maybe rDNS lookups for
> the 10.x.x.x network), and external servers for everything else?
>
> This is perfectly possible and I do it on my own home network.

Thank you for the reply.
I may have been over thinking this. My internal DNS will resolve names
on the internal net and external net. I think now in the way I have
been reading the responses to this thread that I feel better about my
understanding of this process.

One thing though regarding the hosts file:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
10.192.0.200    windmere.internaldomain.com windmere
208.x.x.x   windmere.externaldomain.com    windmere

Is it bad practice to give the box two FQDNs per network? Would I
experience any negative repercussions from approaching the setup in
this manner?

> What routes other than those above do you want?

The routes were what the box generated itself, I added no further
routes. Works fine from what I have tested.