Windows/Linux LAN Issue

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:59:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:38:04 -0800, Jon Savage <jonathansavage at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I saved the file there, thinking I could open/access it from
> > the W2KPro PC. But as the W2KPro PC could not
> > even 'see' the Linux machine on the Windoze network,
> > the effort was a waste of time.
> A couple of things to check:
> Firewall settings on both the windows machine & the Linux Machine may
> need to be tweaked.

I'm not sure how much of this is necessary, but these entires (or some
subset of them) may be required in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.  I used
system-config-securitylevel to add them:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT

(When I say I'm "not sure how much of this is necessary" I mean I'm
not sure which of these protocols are strictly udp or strictly tcp.
Perhaps someone else can illuminate?)

> Samba needs to be in the same 'workgroup' as the windows machine(s).

This is an interesting one.  My FC3 samba install worked out of the
box and the samba server default is 'MYGROUP' whereas my PCs are in
'WORKGROUP'.  Can someone explain why this setup is working for me?

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown