shrinking lvm

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Mar 21 17:23:25 UTC 2005

gaurav wrote:
> Hi list,
>           I am installing oracle on fc 3, i need to create two partition
> for oracle .
> Problem is I have already allocated to Linux partition (as lvm)
> how I can shrink the existing lvm  partition and create two extra
> partion .. i dont know much abt lvm

Oracle can live happily on your existing root partition.  Putting it on
separate partition(s) as per Oracle installation manual is smart thing
to do (for performance/managability reasons), but not really needed for
installing.  You'll get added performance only if you place various
Oracle partitions on different disks.  If they are all going to live on
the same disk, there's no real advantage.

So, to make you life easier.  Ignore the part of installation
instructions that say you to create all those partitions.  In your case
(everything on the same disk) you are not going to benefit from it.
Just create directories as instructed, and install.

The only reason to go through the trouble of resizing your volumes is if
you want to play with raw Oracle partitions.  But again, with everything
on single disk, you are not going to see much of difference as long as
performance goes.