Gnome vs KDE

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Mon Mar 21 19:37:44 UTC 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 12:55, Phil Labonte wrote:
> I have been using Gnome with Fedora since Core1
>
> I have loaded and used KDE just to check it out...
>
> My question is this to the list of experienced users;
>
> What is better for use as a Desktop system; KDE or Gnome?

I have been using KDE for several years but have used Gnome ocassionally. One
particular feature that KDE has I have fell in love with.  Last time I tried
it in Gnome it still was not there (at least I could not find it), but may
have changed.  That feature is window resizing.  Left click on the maximize
button and the window is maximized both horizontally and vertically.  Middle
click on the maximize button and the window in maximized vertically only.
Right click on the maximize button and the window is maximized horizontally
only.   A second click of the same button revert to the previous size.  I use
both the middle and right clicks frequently. This feature is only one of many
that both have but it is the one that keeps me using KDE.

I have a dual head system (2-17" monitors) with a panel on left side of left
screen and right side of right screen with the external taskbar at the top.
Some things are on both panels.  Once you get used to that much screen space
it is hard to go back to 1 screen.  I also use 7 virtual desktops.

I have not used Gnome enough to say that it would not be adequate for my
working style.  I started with FVWM.  When KDE came along I switched to that.
In the early days of Gnome I did use it some but found it too unstable for
daily use, but I'm sure that stability is no longer an issue.  The
Enlightenment window manager had some neat features but that is no longer the
default WM.  I do not know why the WM was changed.

paul

--
Paul Almquist
paul at almquist.name