Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Mar 21 20:04:50 UTC 2005

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> Aleksander, can you please name some mainstream commerical Unix
> operating systems that are designed to be "rock stable in real world
> applications" using the criteria you've outlined? (Those criteria
> seeming to be kernel level process starvation protection that's
> "always on" and "intelligent").

I have to admit, none in Unix category that is absolutely perfect (out
of those I worked with).  But there are some not far from there.  For
example, OpenBSD can't be brought down by single process being swapped a
lot.  The mmap/memset attack simply doesn't work on it.  Things do get a
bit on a slowish side, however services are still responsive and I'm
perfectly able to login and kill offending process (just tested it on
ancient sparc station 5 with 64 meg of RAM and old and *slow* disks that
can hardly do 2 megs/sec).  On Linux, no such luck, brings fast P4
machine (with relatively fast disks capable of 20 megs/sec) to a halt.

Solaris handles this kind of things more gracefully, as well as old
Digital's OSF/1 (alias Digital Unix, alias Compaq Tru64, alias whatever
HP calls it nowdays).

So, there you have a few.  Linux beats them hands down in some
benchmarks.  But they beat Linux hands down in resource allocations
under heavy loads.