Missing Packages / Updates etc

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 21:04:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 15:56, Tim Holmes wrote:
> I have a feeling that this is a really basic question, but I cant seem
> to figure it out.
>
> I am trying to install a piece of software, which needs to be built from
> source.  In order to build from source, I need to install the
> development tools, so I go to add programs, and select the development
> packages that I need (I just select them all), then I tell it to
> install, and it begins to take a look at stuff.  After a while it comes
> back and says I need the following packages or I cant add the
> development tools

Most likely you need to supply the configure command or the make command
the locations of the packages already installed on your system.  The
defaults are probably looking under /usr/local or a similar location and
can not find the packages you listed.

Another possibility is that you need to install the development packages
for those things it says are missing.  Many rpm packages are broken up
into a running install package and the development package.  The
development package normally includes all the header files and such that
you need to build things.

Check your list of packages to see if there are devel versions of them
and try installing those as well.

Be careful though.  If any of those packages get updated you will most
likely have to rebuild the source package you are trying to install.

I have found it easier sometimes when installing a package from source
to build everything that is needed from sources.  This means removing
any rpm packages that would duplicate the source packages.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I worked in a health food store once.  A guy came in and asked me,
"If I melt dry ice, can I take a bath without getting wet?"
		-- Steven Wright