DLink DWL-650 woes

steven ney steven.ney at chello.at
Mon Mar 21 21:48:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 13:25 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> steven ney wrote:
> > Thanks for the advice!!!
> > I'm a tad embarrassed to say, but I don't seem to have iwconfig (nor
> > ifconfig) on my system. I have the GUI versions (system-config-networks)
> > but not the command line programmes
>
> Please bottom post in the future.
>
> Anyway, iwconfig and ifconfig are available to the root user only.  You
> have to be root to play with them.
>
> Log in as root (or use sudo or su) and run "iwconfig -a".  See if the
> card is listed.  If it is, post the information shown and I'll help you
> walk through it.  If you'd rather take this off-list (to keep passwords,
> ESSIDs and such a bit more private), feel free to email me directly:
>
> 	rstevens at vitalstream.com
>
> > Thanks again
>
> No problem.

> >>I used to have one of those.  Does iwconfig show the card?  If so,
> >>then the problem has to do with the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file.
> >>There's no entry that matches the D-Link's MAC address.
> >>
> >>You can bypass that by using the iwconfig commands directly or by
> >>using system-config-network to set them up.
> >>----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
> >>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> >>-                                                                    -
> >>-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -
> >>

> --
> -           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly!

This is very odd. I tried (as root) iwconfig -a but all I get is an
error message telling me that Bash can't find the command. I double
checked yum and rpm to see if I have the packages installed (net-
tools.i386, wireless-tools.i386 and NetworkManager.i386) and I seem to
have everything....

I suspect I am missing something very basic and obvious here.