Make restore cds(dvds)

David Havery dhavery at pssclabs.com
Mon Mar 21 23:48:04 UTC 2005

See, I know with dd (I've not used partimage) that when you create an
image, you get a file the size of the partition (empty space and all),
that's no good for a couple of reasons...

1)  if I have a 300g drive with a 10g install, I want to be able to use
a cheap 10g to back up to rather than fork over the premium for a 300g
2) in the case of an array, the space may very well be bigger than
available drives.

system imager btw, is a pretty good solution, it will backup filespace
(vs drivespace), however, to do this with a bootable distro and span
multiple dvd's is beyond my ability presently.  Sadly, this is exactly
what mkCDrec claims to do but since I can't get it installed and can't
get support from them, it's moot.

I think in the long run, what we're going to end up doing is providing
an install with systemimager on a smaller drive.  This would allow for
booting and instructions to run a bash script that will allow for
reimaging.

thanks for all the advice and help

David Havery
dhavery at psslabs.com