Panic! cant' log on to linux

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Tue Mar 22 00:02:13 UTC 2005

Hello people,
recently I've been trying to get on to the net using an adsl usb modem. This may be relevant because of course config files get altered. But everything was going swimmingly (except not actually being able to get on the net with the modem!) when I rebooted from windows to try out some new bits of information and  the nvidia splash screen kept popping up. So I said to myself, go back to the old nvidia config without Open gl and see hwat happens. So I got out he manula for Ltools and had a look at the XF86config file and I had backed up the origianl file so canged that around. However I still can't login, this time no splash screen pops up but the monitor turns off and on  and in between  there is a message on the prompt about null tty  (but its so quick I can't read it fast enough)
Now I know I can access the files with Ltools but I don't know what to change)
Any ideas!

Shelagh