Antivirus in FC3?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 22 05:31:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 21:08 -0600, Paul wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 14:17 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > If you're not already running samba then you have to configure samba so
> > there would be the additional infrastructure.
> >
> > If you've got more than one 'Linux' computer, how hard is it to ?
> >
> > getent passwd | awk -F: '$3 > 499 && $3 < 10000 { print }' | grep -v '\
> > $' > /root/passwd.txt
> > getent shadow | awk -F: '$3 > 499 && $3 < 10000 { print }' | grep -v '\
> > $' > /root/shadow.txt
> > getent group | awk -F: '$3 > 499 && $3 < 10000 { print }' | grep -v '\
> > $' > /root/group.txt
> >
> > copy these 3 files to the other 'Linux' machines and then simply cat
> > them onto the existing passwd/shadow/group files...
> >
> > cat passwd.txt >> /etc/passwd
> > cat shadow.txt >> /etc/shadow
> > cat group.txt >> /etc/group
>
> Ewww that would make a mess of any existing system ... it might be OK
> for setting up an initial system, but would be no good after that
> because the passwords would get out of sync.
----
we were talking about a small home setup
----

> Personally it would be nice if there was an "idiot proof" GUI for
> setting up and LDAP database for a small office.  Maybe I should learn
> python.
----
idiot proof GUI for setting up LDAP database - all this time, I thought
the classic oxymoron was military intelligence   ;-)

of course your idea and my ideas for LDAP database are likely to differ

not sure what python has to do with any of this.

We were talking about 2 or 3 computers in Gene's home - and syncing the
gid/uid/shadow files so that NFS was consistent. With Gene - it's hardly
gonna matter since he pretty much runs everything as root (including X).

Now that I am pretty much up to speed with LDAP - it isn't that hard and
I can whip it together fairly quickly but understand the sentiment about
wanting idiot proof GUI for LDAP  -  The benefit of doing LDAP for the
small network environment is that it's much better/easier/safer to
practice on something small, accessible and where people aren't gonna
kill you if they can't login/access their files/have their email
rejected etc.

Craig