Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 05:57:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 23:17, David Curry wrote:

> > can possibly think there is any lack of documentation available.
> >
> Again, you confirm my original premise - that much of the discussion
> under this thread implicitly assumed linux/unix experts are the ones
> installing the system.

Well, if you are administering a multi-user system where the
users can't be trusted and a bit of downtime from resource
overusage is a serious problem, I don't think it is unreasonable
to learn a bit about what you are doing.  You'll need to deal
with abuse of every other resource (network, memory, etc.) and
probably some non-technical issues like downloading inappropriate
or illegal material too.

On the other hand, I'd expect people using their computer only
for themselves to be less interested in such details and to want
to be able to have unrestricted access to their own hardware.  Isn't
that why you are installing your own OS in the first place?

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com