-s /tftpboot path in xinetd.d/tftp file

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Mar 22 09:50:48 UTC 2005

Mark,

Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> does the -s in the path in this file represent a soft link.? If so,
> where would I find this link's path..?
>
> [root at localhost xinetd.d]# cat tftp
> service tftp
> {
>        socket_type             = dgram
>        protocol                = udp
>        wait                    = yes
>        user                    = root
>        server                  = /usr/bin/tftp
>        server_args             = -s /tftpboot
>        disable                 = no
>        per_source              = 11
>        cps                     = 100 2
> }
>
> Doing a find / -name tftpboot -print gives the following,
>
> [root at localhost xinetd.d]# find / -name tftpboot -print
> /var/tftpboot
> /var/tftpboot/tftpboot
>
> Is one of those the link's location.? Cheers.

according to man tftpd

-s  Change  root  directory  on startup.  This means the remote host
     does not need to pass along the directory as part of the
     transfer, and may add security.  When -s is specified, exactly one
     directory should be specified  on  the  command  line.
     The  use  of  this option is recommended for security as well as
     compatibility with some boot ROMs which cannot be easily
     made to include a directory name in its request.

> Mark Sargent.

Hth

Alex