Questions concerning multiple OS and RAID-1

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:23:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:44:02 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana <lkml at mac.com> wrote:

> Nah! Use hardware RAID-1 (*true* hardware RAID-1, not those crappy
> pseudo-raid controller some manufacturers sell).

Please keep in mind that, in general, raid1 volumes created with
hardware raid solutions are *not* portable between machines.  If you
upgrade your machine, you will more than likely have to reinstall your
OS cleanly and recreate the mirror using whatever hardware raid tools
the new motherboard provides.  If your motherboard or hardware raid
controller experiences a failure, you will either have to replace it
with identical hardware or you will again need to reinstall your
operating system clean and recreate the mirror.

Mirroring is extremely low overhead for software raid so if you'd like
to maintain a portable raid volume, then software raid may be more
appropriate for your purposes.  I'd further suggest running a 4 disk
configuration if you want mirrored boot devices for two operating
systems, 2 disks per OS.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown