Gnome vs KDE

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 19:24:41 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 21:50 -0500, David Curry wrote:
>

>>Phil Labonte wrote:
>>

>>>I have been using Gnome with Fedora since Core1
>>>
>>>I have loaded and used KDE just to check it out...
>>>
>>>My question is this to the list of experienced users;
>>>
>>>What is better for use as a Desktop system; KDE or Gnome?
>>>

>>I have tried both on RH7.1, RH8, FC2.  KDE behaved differently than
>>Gnome on the latter two OSes.  On a system with one CD-ROM and one
>>CD-RW, Gnome handles both drives appropriately.  On the other hand, when
>>I boot into a KDE desktop session, I am unable to mount either device.
>>So, I use the Gnome desktop which appears to play nice with a number of
>>KDE apps I use.
>>

>----
>this is so entirely absurd
>
>who cares which one everybody uses?
>
>The GNOME and KDE are heavily modified from the original distributions
>anyway - it makes it hard to tell which you're using and intentionally
>blurs the distinctions between the two. There's not supposed to be much
>difference between them - purposely - at least as shipped by RHEL/Fedora
>
>Craig

Others may disagree with you, Craig.  Phil asked a general question and
has received a variety of responses that included observations on
different features and different behaviors.

Are you saying Gnome vs. KDE is absurd, or are you saying that my report
of KDE malfunction is absurd.  Report of an inability to mount CD drives
in KDE while they are mountable in Gnome  is consistent with QA
testing.  Is that absurd?