FC3 with BEFSR11 Linksys router slow connection

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Tue Mar 22 22:58:14 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:43 AM Bob Chiodini wrote:

>Shawn,
>
>I've been following this thread, I hope.  Maybe there is a hardware
>problem with the Linksys or your NIC (or an incompatibility between
>them).  Does you FC3 box behave the same regardless of the port it is
>connected to on the Linksys?  Also,  does ethereal reveal anything
>unusual?

The BEFSR11 has only one LAN port, unfortunately.  Ethereal shows
duplicate ACKs outbound and out of order packets inbound but nothing
else unusual.

>Another thing to try:  Plug the cable modem into one of the
>LAN ports on
>the Linksys and restart networking on the FC3 box.  You'll
>lose routing,
>any Linksys firewalling and NAT, but it should be okay for a short
>test.
>
>I've never dissected a Linksys router, but in the dlink each pair of
>switch ports share common PHY chips.  I have an old dlink with two bad
>switch ports due to a lightning strike.  One of the ports was unused
>before the strike.  The other two ports and the WAN port are fine.
>
>All that said and rereading your other posts:  Your problem might point
>to the NIC in the FC3 box since the same wiring and port work okay on
>your XP box.  I assume it is a different machine.

I would agree with you with one exception: so far no matter what I put
as a NIC in the server, the same problem manifests itself. Furthermore,
the same NIC when installed in the XP box works great. I believe that
the problem is a combination of Fedora being compliant with networking
standards (which really isn't a problem) and the Linksys not being
compliant is some subtle way. As Rick Stevens pointed out in an earlier
posting, XP contains hacks to circumvent issues perhaps like this one.
I just can't seem to put my finger on the exact cause at this point.

--

Shawn