install X11 and Kde

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 22 23:54:13 UTC 2005

Marcos-Fedora Brazil wrote:
> What Rpm packages from cd I need to install X and after run
> system-config-packages
> ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcos

The aproach that I used for installing xorg-x11 from the CD when it was
damaged before was to copy all of the xorg-x11 rpms and the font-xorg
related rpms to the same directory on my hard drive. After the X related
rpms were al in one directory, I ran
rpm -Uvh *.rpm in that directory as root. After rpm is finished
installing the rpms related to X, you should have the GUI portion.
Regarding installing KDE, if the rpms are fortunate enough to be located
on one disk, you could do a similar install when you are in the RPMS
directory on your installation disc.
You might need to install system-config-display to also get this to
work. You would need to run this program as root to get a configuration
file for X to start.

All in all, I think it would be less painful to do another install and
choose X and KDE during the installation process. If you are
adventurous, installing these programs post install should be a challenge.

Jim

--
So the current heuristic provably sucks. We have cold hard numbers, and
quite frankly, Al, there is very very little point in arguing against

	- Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel