-s /tftpboot path in xinetd.d/tftp file

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Wed Mar 23 05:25:27 UTC 2005

Alexander Apprich wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> does the -s in the path in this file represent a soft link.? If so,
>> where would I find this link's path..?
>>
>> [root at localhost xinetd.d]# cat tftp
>> service tftp
>> {
>>        socket_type             = dgram
>>        protocol                = udp
>>        wait                    = yes
>>        user                    = root
>>        server                  = /usr/bin/tftp
>>        server_args             = -s /tftpboot
>>        disable                 = no
>>        per_source              = 11
>>        cps                     = 100 2
>> }
>>
>> Doing a find / -name tftpboot -print gives the following,
>>
>> [root at localhost xinetd.d]# find / -name tftpboot -print
>> /var/tftpboot
>> /var/tftpboot/tftpboot
>>
>> Is one of those the link's location.? Cheers.
>>

> according to man tftpd
>
> -s  Change  root  directory  on startup.  This means the remote host
>     does not need to pass along the directory as part of the
>     transfer, and may add security.  When -s is specified, exactly one
>     directory should be specified  on  the  command  line.
>     The  use  of  this option is recommended for security as well as
>     compatibility with some boot ROMs which cannot be easily
>     made to include a directory name in its request.
>

>> Mark Sargent.
>>
> Hth
>
> Alex

Hi All,

Alex, if I'm trying to upload a running-config file of a cisco switch to
/tftpboot, what do I specify at the switches prompt,

Switch>en
Switch#copy run tftp
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.168.12
Destination filename [running-config]? running-config

Is this correct, above.? I can't seem to get it to work.

Switch#copy run tftp
Source filename [running-config]? running-config
Destination IP address or hostname []? 192.168.168.12
Destination filename [running-config]? running-config
Building configuration...
%Error opening tftp://192.168.168.12/running-config (Undefined error)

Cheers.