SA question, and yes, I've checked the SA wiki.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 23 07:35:51 UTC 2005

Greetings;

I just updated my SA install to 3.0.2.  That involved figureing out
what was wrong with the original /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin files as
it had an old option -a in it.  Then I thought I had it going, until
I looked at the /var/log/maillog, and this falls out for every
message handled:
-------------------------
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: connection from
localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] at port 38816
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: info: setuid to root succeeded
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: Still running as root: user not
specified with -u, not found, or set to root.Fall back to nobody.
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: processing message
<!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAcd8O1fewg0mPgj9MZMRc1cKAAAAQAAAAFVOAFW8MhUC2gvMgkQ8k8QEAAAAA at optusnet.com.au>
for root:99.
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: cannot write
to /root/.spamassassin/bayes_journal, Bayes db update ignored:
Permission denied
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: clean message (2.4/5.0) for
root:99 in 0.7 seconds, 22204 bytes.
Mar 23 02:16:28 coyote spamd[7111]: result: .  2 -
BAYES_50,HTML_80_90,HTML_MESSAGE,HTML_TEXT_AFTER_BODY,HTML_TEXT_AFTER_HTML
scantime=0.7,size=22204,mid=<!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAcd8O1fewg0mPgj9MZMRc1cKAAAAQAAAAFVOAFW8MhUC2gvMgkQ8k8QEAAAAA at optusnet.com.au>,bayes=0.437626144745654,autolearn=no
------------------------------
when I started the upgrade, and after, I had
a /root/.spamassassin/bayes_journal file, but it dissappeared at some
point after I had inspected it with less.

So I touched another one and set the mode to 0666 and the owner to
nobody:nobody which it indicates its running as in the above log
snip.  The daemon won't even start if I set the "-u root" in the
option string.

Back at SA-2.64, root owned all that stuff, so I'm puzzled as to why
the nearly 2700 byte "bayes_journal" file dissappeared to, and why it
cannot write to the new one regardless of who owns it, as shown
above.

Mail seems to be comeing in ok, but it appears that the spam is going
into a black hole as opposed to the JunqueMail folder in kmail like
it was before.

Any clues here, or urls for a mailing list?

Thanks.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)