Controlling 'services'

Irving, Dave Dave.Irving at logicacmg.com
Wed Mar 23 10:59:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've set up a little java app which sits on top of gammu's sms daemon to
give me a nice email client style text messaging system on my fedora
box.
Im using 'rfcomm connect' to make a bluetooth connection.
Now, when my phone goes out of range, obviously this connection
terminates (and rfcomm connect returns).
What I'd really like to do is detect this, and go in to 'retry mode'
(try and make a connection every x seconds, and bring gammu back up /
notify my java app when a connection is re-established).
Im currently thinking of a simple shell script which notes the rfcomm
pid, goes in to reconnect when the process goes - and performs the
relevant actions when the connection is established again.
So what's this got to do with linux anyway? Well, it seems to me that
this 'service monitoring' technique with performing actions when
services are available sounds similar to my fedora 'services' (samba,
ftp, whatever).
So should I really be doing this as a linux service? If so, what files
do I need to start playing with?

Many thanks,

Dave