legal question

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Wed Mar 23 14:31:11 UTC 2005

Marc M wrote:

> I beat out every other candidate from multiple agencies with this.  I
> have come a LOOOOONG way in this process with the recruiter and I am
> formulating a letter to the effect of 'I am sorry but I am not signing
> my life away and if it's a dealbreaker so be it'.

I would simply draw lines through the parts I disagree with and give it
back to them. Think of it as a counter offer.

Stuff  like this is negotiable. They may be "testing the water". You
said you really like/want this job. Rule umber 1 when negotiating:
    - You can't negotiate for anything you can't walk away from.

Never mind the dramatic letter writing... modify the contract paper to
the point of something you would agree with and give it back to them. If
they give you some mumbo-jumbo about "standard contract", tell them
you're not a "standard employee"...

If they insist, and you walk, they still know how to get in touch with
you. Don't burn any bridges. At the same time, depending on how well
they take your counter offer/contract you might not want to work for a
company like them anyway. Cut your losses (invested time etc) and move on.

> I also included
> some HUGE info to show that I am interested in 'educating' these
> recruiter types as to the restrictions they are placing on something
> that is suppossed to be 'open'.

Well, I think that will be counter-productive... but if it makes you
feel better, there's limited value there. :-)

Personally, don't waste any effort on campaigning or educating them as
to their evil ways... They don't want to hear it. Worry about your OWN
situation... once you *get* the job, then maybe you can have some
influence from the inside, then you can work on your crusade. :-)

 > I am beginning to conclude that some
> people and opportunities are not worth fooling with, since they come
> with more headaches than they are worth.

Oh yeah, *that* might be rule number one when negotiating. :-)