reply to Gene's reply-to address (was: SA question, and yes, I've checked the SA wiki.)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 23 15:36:56 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 09:10, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>Am Mi, den 23.03.2005 schrieb Gene Heskett um 8:35:
>> Greetings;
>
>[ all snipped ]
>
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Gene,
>
>I always have a problem to get the reply to your postings to your
>reply-to address. Do others share that problem?

What are you seeing as a replyto: address?  IIRC I've got something
that *was* legal at one time in there.

>root at noc:~# mailq -v
>                /var/spool/mqueue (1 request)
>-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -Priority- ---Q-Time---
>--------Sender/Recipient--------
>j2NDTeUs056362     3951     694546 Mar 23 14:29 <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
>                 (Deferred: Operation timed out with
> relay.verizon.net.)
>
><gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>                 (Deferred: Operation timed out with
> relay.verizon.net.) Total requests: 1
>
>root at noc:~# hoststat
> -------------- Hostname --------------- How long ago
>---------Results---------
> localhost                                   00:03:42 250 2.1.5 Ok
> mx3.redhat.com                              00:13:07 250 2.0.0
>j2NDpD8E025206
> mx1.redhat.com                              00:33:23 250 2.0.0
>j2NDTh2M004879
> relay.verizon.net                           00:05:16 Deferred:
>Operation timed
>
>So my replies to you Gene are stuck in my server queue.
>
>telnet relay.verizon.net 25
>Trying 206.46.232.11...
>
>... and nothing more happens. This is from 3 different connected
> hosts!
>
>Alexander

And verizon strikes again.  My apologies Alexander.  But I am
subscribed to this list and the list comes in fine.  They (verizon)
are not, IIRC, properly honoring a reverse lookup, and those MTA's
that require that, per the rfc, will hang it up.   Or at least thats
what I've been told.

I've bitched, lots of people have bitched, but verizon seems adamant
in their refusal to conform to the rfc's.  They only closed their
open relay status last fall after over a million of us were defined
on half the friggin planets RBL lists.  They screwed with it for
several months before that faded away, and now they've been seducing
the canine again, no service for about 10 hours total in the past 7
days, with no explanations offered when you call.

I'd get somebody else for an ISP, but in this little piece of the
planet, they are the *only* game in town if you don't want to go back
to dialup at $30 more a month.  Cable can supply in the surrounding
areas, at about 2x the $$ a month but not here.  I tossed them and
got a Dish, $20 a month cheaper.  But that doesn't get me internet
access either.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)