mysql + snort trouble...

Fabiano Petrone fabiano.petrone at bib.uniud.it
Wed Mar 23 16:47:00 UTC 2005

hello to Everybody
newbie & my first post...hope I'll go OK...comments & critics to my style
welcome!!  :)

I've installed mysql + snort + base on FC3 following the Harper-Olivier
guide at:

http://www.internetsecurityguru.com/documents/

all goes OK but 2 things:

1) mysql 3.23.58.
at the startup screen I've the following error:

"timeout error occurred starting mysqld daemon: FAILED"

but ...
system settings -> server settings -> services tells that mysqld it's up
and running.
it works perfectly...please note that following Harper-Olivier suggestion,
I've SElinux disabled (but I've firestarter and ClamAV up and running...)

2) Snort Version 2.3.2 (Build 12)
I'd like snort starting with the sistem, but if I Add to /etc/rc.local the
following line:

"/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort"

(Harper-Olivier pg. 12)

the GUI of my machine (Gnome) won't start and the last message that I get
from the console is the following:

************************
-*> Snort! <*-
Version 2.3.2 (Build 12)
'''' By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team: http://www.snort.org/team.html
(C) Copyright 1998-2004 Sourcefire Inc., et al.

I've resumed the GUI restarting the system with a rescue cd and commenting
the previous line in rc.local.
At the restart (with the Gnome GUI) I've noted that if I pass the

"/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort"

via gnome terminal, snort starts successfully but the console remains open
with the same previous message: is it normal?

thanks a lot in advance for your reply,

fabianope