legal question

Crisler, Jon JCrisler at corvis.com
Wed Mar 23 17:32:13 UTC 2005

The other thing I would worry about was a non-compete clause.  I work
and live in Maryland, but Wash D.C. and Virginia are part of the same
metro area, so lots of people commute back and forth.  Labor laws are
different in MD and VA:  A contract with a restrictive non-compete
clause is enforceable in MD, as contract law takes precedence.  But the
non-compete clause is mostly unenforceable in VA, the feeling being that
you cannot deny somebody the right to work and support themselves.

 Unless you feel that you will be working on some off-hours projects, or
work that you might later publish/sell for profit, I personally would
not worry about the intellectual property rights.  But if you fit the
above model, then it is a big worry.  When it comes to litigation,
patent infringement and intellectual property cases are much harder and
more expensive to pursue, compared to employment contracts and
non-compete clauses.

That said, I agree that you should contact a lawyer familiar with
employment issues to review the contract.