Gnome vs KDE

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 17:43:05 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>Hi
>

>>I'm quite certain that a GNOME desktop as delivered by GNOME and a KDE
>>desktop as delivered by KDE - without Red Hat / Fedora alterations might
>>demonstrate some of the differences more readily.
>>

>not true anymore. both kde and gnome are pretty close to the upstream
>versions in fedora

FWIW, the CD drive mounting problem is not confined to Fedora Core
distribution.  In FC2 using a KDE 3.2 variant, I simply cannot mount
either of my CD-ROM or CD-RW drives.  A few days ago, running a Gnome
desktop I downloaded and burned a LiveCD distribution named SimplyMEPIS
which uses KDE3.3 on top of a Debian distribution.

I was able to boot from the LiveCd in the CD-RW drive without any
problems but could not then mount the CD-ROM.  One conspicuous
difference between the KDE desktop MEPIS was the placement of CD drive
icons on the desktop compared to having CD drives buried in submenus on
the KDE (and Gnome) desktop(s) in FC2.