Unable to open an initial console - FC3 and vanilla kernel

Marcin Zajączkowski mszpak at wp.pl
Wed Mar 23 21:59:08 UTC 2005

Dnia 2005-03-22 17:54, Użytkownik Marcin Zajączkowski napisał:
> I have problems with create bootable vanilla kernel with FC3. Kernels
> contained in Fedora works fine, but I like to have custom kernel
> compiled by myself. With FC2 and below I hadn't any problems. With FC3
> I've got:
> Unable to open an initial console
> few SELinux messages and freeze booting proccess.

I think the problem was solved.
Some background. My actual config was adopted to next kernel versions by
"make oldconfig" for years. Base settings remembered 2.4.4. I've never
used ram disk to boot linux. When I read that udev requires it, I create
.img and add it into grub.conf.
Today after compiled kernel with fedora settings (I know why I don't
like fedora config. I took over 1GB on my hdd and lot of time...). Later
I was comparing options in config I noticed, that initrd is not set (I
didn't know that that option exists in kernel config!). After this
modification system seems to boot and I'm going to tweak it up now. I
regret there weren't any warning about ignored initrd option at boot
time, this could save plenty of my time.

Marcin