Gnome vs KDE

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 00:29:47 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> David Curry wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the CD drive mounting problem is not confined to Fedora Core
>> distribution.  In FC2 using a KDE 3.2 variant, I simply cannot mount
>> either of my CD-ROM or CD-RW drives.  A few days ago, running a Gnome
>> desktop I downloaded and burned a LiveCD distribution named
>> SimplyMEPIS which uses KDE3.3 on top of a Debian distribution.
>> I was able to boot from the LiveCd in the CD-RW drive without any
>> problems but could not then mount the CD-ROM.  One conspicuous
>> difference between the KDE desktop MEPIS was the placement of CD
>> drive icons on the desktop compared to having CD drives buried in
>> submenus on the KDE (and Gnome) desktop(s) in FC2.
>>
> I'd like to hope that everyone complaining of this issue has filed
> appropriate bug reports.

Thanks, Arthur!  I had not filed a bug report on inability to mount CD
drives while running the KDE desktop since FC2 is so near Fedora EOL,
the problem first occurred on my RH 8.0 system, and I suspected that
Fedora Bugzilla searches would be as worthless as my fedora-list archive
searches with the archive search engine.  But, on your gentle prodding I
proceeded to file a bug report anyway until I reached the point of
inputing specific message text.

I logged off the gnome desktop and started a KDE desktop session, stuck
a CD in /mnt/cdrom/  (CD-RW drive) and VOILA!!  The drive automounted.
Trying to stick a music CD in /mnt/cdrom1/  (CD-ROM drive), I found the
drive already mounted.  Replacing that CD with a music CD and after
adjusting some sound preferences I am now listening to music while
composing this mail.

Baffling is an understatement here.  I have made no changes to my system
setup.  No updates have been applied since I last logged into a KDE
desktop session.  The only thing that I can think of which might
distinguish this experience from earlier attempts to use the desktop is
that I had left a CD in the /mnt/cdrom1 device.