Gnome vs KDE

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 02:58:07 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> David Curry wrote:
>
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hope that everyone complaining of this issue has filed
>>> appropriate bug reports.
>>>
>> Thanks, Arthur!  I had not filed a bug report on inability to mount
>> CD drives while running the KDE desktop since FC2 is so near Fedora
>> EOL, the problem first occurred on my RH 8.0 system, and I suspected
>> that Fedora Bugzilla searches would be as worthless as my fedora-list
>> archive searches with the archive search engine.  But, on your gentle
>> prodding I proceeded to file a bug report anyway until I reached the
>> point of inputing specific message text.
>>
>> I logged off the gnome desktop and started a KDE desktop session,
>> stuck a CD in /mnt/cdrom/  (CD-RW drive) and VOILA!!  The drive
>> automounted.
>> Trying to stick a music CD in /mnt/cdrom1/  (CD-ROM drive), I found
>> the drive already mounted.  Replacing that CD with a music CD and
>> after adjusting some sound preferences I am now listening to music
>> while composing this mail.
>>
>> Baffling is an understatement here.  I have made no changes to my
>> system setup.  No updates have been applied since I last logged into
>> a KDE desktop session.  The only thing that I can think of which
>> might distinguish this experience from earlier attempts to use the
>> desktop is that I had left a CD in the /mnt/cdrom1 device.
>>
> Ahh the power of bugzilla :D
>
> On a more serious note, I suspect it may have been more benifical if
> the problem was more reproducable to aid the bug report. However it
> works for you., that's good.
>
> Peace

Well, the CD mount problem is back -- sort of.  And it is now sort of a
CD drive unmount problem - sort of.

The problems emerged immediately after I used the KDE gui interfaces to
issue the command to eject a CD without first clicking on the unmount
menu option.  The mount/unmount behavior of the drives is now pretty
erratic, but some consistencies may be emerging.  I am beginning to
suspect that something is amiss with the way the drives are jumpered.