Antivirus in FC3?

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Thu Mar 24 04:03:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 20:02 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> ----
> lam
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lam
>
> webmin
> http://www.webmin.com

I've used webmin, but not for LDAP in the past ... I may check that one
out.

> personally - I use Webmin...of course, the initial LDAP setup is manual
> but once structure is in place, I can channel all interaction (manage
> user accounts, groups etc. for Posix and Samba accounts, even create
> user addressbooks, free/busy URL's etc. in LDAP DSA
>
> This is the second time you mentioned SELS 9 but I've always seen it
> stated as SLES 9 (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) - just checking if you
> are referring to the same thing

Typo on my part :)

> Often discussed (and I get yelled at by John Terpstra - maintainer of
> Samba Documentation) on the samba at lists.samba.org mail list
>
> Concept is turnkey LDAP/Samba - they use the IDEALX scripts - no doubt
> that SLES 9 is using some implementation of them.

They vary well may be.

> It all sounds real good but you end up with administrators that aren't
> entirely certain what LDAP is, how to maintain it, how to fix it, how to
> secure it and how to get other applications to work with it. People are
> <SNIP>
> Watching the masses turn off SELinux on this list because they don't get
> it should be a clue as to how well a Samba/LDAP turnkey solution is
> going to go over...lots of angst hurled in every direction.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the
distro/tool. Novell/SuSE seem to be focusing on taking the same space
that MS currently has.

The problem I think your trying to point out is simple tools can make
simple things easy, but once somebody needs to do something a little
more complex that they hit a wall and tool gets in the way because the
person using the tool does understand how things work underneath.

Paul