How do you configure FC3 so that tape devices are static?

David Kerrivan davidkerrivan at rogers.com
Thu Mar 24 05:33:43 UTC 2005

G'day,

I'm nominally a Solaris/NetBackup person,  so I'm a bit baffled by
Fedora's (apparent) intrinsic desire to copy the Windows dynamic
reconfiguration of tape devices.

I'm very much used to creating my st devices and forgetting about them
except for reconfiguration reboots.

Is there a simple easy way to statically set st0 and st1 etc. to a
particular tape drive?  I have an internal dat drive that I want to rely
on being in one particular location - it will be setup to auto archive
data my family dumps in their smb shares.  My external DLT drive will
only be enabled when I'm doing a full system backup.  Since the kernel
seems to be configured to rebuild the /dev/st* and corresponding nrst
devices this is currently not possible.

I've disabled kudzu with chkconfig (just have to remember to enable it
next time I add hardware) but that doesn't seem to be the correct way.
I've looked at /etc/rc.sysinit but didn't get much of a clue there save
a hint in the SCSI area with modprobe, but that didn't go far.

I really want my DDS2 drive to remain at st0 and my DLT to be st1 across
every single reboot, whether it's powered on or not.

Pointers folks?

Thanks,

David K.