Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Mar 24 10:04:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 14:04 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>
> > Aleksander, can you please name some mainstream commerical Unix
> > operating systems that are designed to be "rock stable in real world
> > applications" using the criteria you've outlined? (Those criteria
> > seeming to be kernel level process starvation protection that's
> > "always on" and "intelligent").
>
> I have to admit, none in Unix category that is absolutely perfect (out
> of those I worked with).  But there are some not far from there.  For
> example, OpenBSD can't be brought down by single process being swapped a
> lot.  The mmap/memset attack simply doesn't work on it.  Things do get a
> bit on a slowish side, however services are still responsive and I'm
> perfectly able to login and kill offending process (just tested it on
> ancient sparc station 5 with 64 meg of RAM and old and *slow* disks that
> can hardly do 2 megs/sec).  On Linux, no such luck, brings fast P4
> machine (with relatively fast disks capable of 20 megs/sec) to a halt.
>
> Solaris handles this kind of things more gracefully, as well as old
> Digital's OSF/1 (alias Digital Unix, alias Compaq Tru64, alias whatever
> HP calls it nowdays).

Putting Aleksander on direct CC because I really want to know this.

On the BSD boxes, if you do a fork bomb on the same ulimits does it
crash(I'm assuming of course thet BSDs have ulimtis too)? I would think
not. (per your explanation above)

Hence, it's no wonder why I wonder why that is so for the BSD box.

What is the difference between how LInux and how BSD handles forks?

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz