installation help

Paul paulwalth at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:13:55 UTC 2005

I tried and failed to install this OS on my laptop (PIII-650 384 megs of
ram).  I did this by downloading FC3-i386-DVD.iso and burning it onto a
dvd with my desktop (running Windows XP), and then installing.  I had it
destroy all former partitions (Windows ME) that was on there previously,
and everything seemed to go very well.  Then it was done about a half an
hour later and I rebooted.

It hangs while trying to boot up and I can't figure out the cause.
Here's the information I see during bootup that may or maynot be relevant :

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x155da5]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    [Linux-initrd @ 0x17ee4000, 0x17ee4000, 0xebc97 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
audit(1111678052.169:0): initialized
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  2 logical volumes in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Setting default font (latarcyrheb-sun16):              [   OK   ]

                Welcome to Fedora Core
                Press 'I' to enter interactrive startup.
Starting udev:  i                                                  [
OK   ]
Initializing hardware...   storage network audio_

It always stops here and does nothing no matter how patient I am.  Any
ideas?  Anywhere I might look for more information on resolving this
issue?  I'd really like to get Red Hat up and going on my machine and
this is very frustrating.  Any replies would be most appreciated.
Unfortunately, I'm a complete beginner with respect to this operating
system, and all other 'linux' types of OS's.