Dell 2005FPW runs at 1680x1050 but looks much lower...?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:19:49 UTC 2005

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>
>> Peter Arremann wrote:

>>> Can you confirm your resolution? Execute "xwininfo -root" and look at
>>> the width and height?
>>
>> Yes, the width/height is 1680x1050.
>>
>> Actually, I've always kind of noticed that similar resolutions always
>> look
>> smaller/sharper in Windows.  Whats up with that?  Its an extra $700 for
>> the next highest resolution for my monitor...=(
>
> fonts? or everything?

Everything.  Window boarders, icons, etc seem bigger than they should be at
this resolution.  Fonts, of course, I can adjust to whatever size I want,
but they still seems a tad big for their point size and are sometimes not
as crisp as I think they should be.

> if your lcd panel is not set to it's native resolution/refresh rate then
> it will either be scaling or some kind of pulldown. scaling will produce
> nasty artifacts unless the scaled resolution is a divisor of the native
> resolution. 800x600 for example scales evenly to 1600x1200.

It is set to its native resolution.

> font's are of course anit-aliased in difeerent ways on each platform so
> there so substantial variation in thaose tha has nothing to do with the
> choosen resolution...
>
>>> Peter.

-- C